The Department of Health recently published the white paper ‘Equity and Excellence: Liberating the NHS’. Under the new plans, groups of GPs will be given freedom and responsibility for commissioning care for their local communities. Providers of services will have new freedoms and they will be more accountable. There will be greater competition in the NHS and greater cooperation. Services will be more joined up, supported by a new role for Local Authorities to support integration across health and social care.
This radical shake up of the NHS will impact on many of our clients. To help us make sense of this we have tried to capture the new landscape in the mindmap below.
- Download White Paper: Equity and excellence liberating the NHS (PDF, 720K)
- Download analytical strategy for the White Paper and associated documents (PDF, 117K)
- Download initial equality impact assessment (PDF, 150K)
- Secretary of State’s statement to the House of Commons, 12 July 2010
- Press release, 12 July 2010